Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Spinach/Callaloo and Bacon Bread

Recipe Photos are the Property of http://serveandeat.blogspot.com

This is a very delicious and tasty Bread recipe which I highly recommend for everyone to try. I absolutely love it. I altered some of the ingredients because I'm really into eating brown foods so instead of using white flour alone, I also used whole wheat flour in this recipe. This recipe is also LOW FAT and I totally enjoyed making it. It's completely Italian and as I mentioned in previous posts I absolutely love Italian food, including Chinese which I will also be posting in the coming months. This was taken from one of my cookbooks 500 Fabulous Cakes and Bakes.

Spinach/Callaloo And Bacon Bread (adapted from the above cookbook)

I altered the recipe in order to incorporate some of the ingredients that my family loves. Instead of using green onion I used red onions. I find that red onions are extremely sweet and delightful when eaten raw. I always incorporate them in my salad recipes. I also added dried oregano my favorite herb, basil and parsley. You can also use fresh herbs if you prefer. Instead of the spinach I use dasheen leaves (here in Trinidad and Tobago we call it callaloo bush). The taste of sauteed callaloo is gentle and I prefer it to spinach.

INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion, chopped
4 oz lean bacon back or rindless smoked bacon rashers, chopped (you can also use Italian pancetta bacon)
4 cups presifted all purpose flour (you can use bread flour instead)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tsp dried or fresh basil
1 tsp dried or fresh parsley
1 sachet easy blend dried yeast
2 cups hand-hot water (lukewarm)
8 oz chopped callaloo or spinach
1/4 cup grated reduced-fat Cheddar cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Lightly oil two 9 inch cake tins. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and bacon for 10 minutes until golden brown. Do not burn onion.

2. Put flours, salt, herbs and nutmeg in a mixing bowl, add yeast and blend ingredients. Make a well in the centre. Add the water.Tip in the fried bacon and onion, with the oil, and then add the well-drained spinach. Gradually incorporate the flour and mix to a soft dough.

3. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for five minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the mixture in half. Shape each half into a ball, flatten slightly and place in tin, pressing the dough so that it extends to the edges.

Recipe Photos are the Property of http://serveandeat.blogspot.com

4. Mark each dough into six wedges and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover loosely with a plastic wrap or bag and leave in a warm place until each loaf has doubled in size. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees C/ 400 degrees F/ Gas 6.

5. Bake the loaves for 25-30 minutes or until they sound hollow when tapped underneath. Cool on a wire rack.
Recipe Photos are the Property of http://serveandeat.blogspot.com

The recipe did state that it is a good idea to make double the quantity and freeze one of the loaves. Another good tip is to refrigerate the bread after 4 hours of cooling. You can serve this bread with turkey ham, a salad, cheese or any filling of your choosing.

Happy Eating
Jannishal

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hillsong Music